New to Strathroy – Caradoc
The 52 cards of a deck of cards are shuffled several times, then sealed into envelopes that are thoroughly mixed again. A number from 1 – 52 is recorded on each envelope and the envelopes are kept in a locked box, secured in the safe at the Strathroy Seniors’ Centre between weekly ticket draws held on Thursdays at 10:00 AM.
A video recording of the “putting the cards into envelopes” security process, conducted Thursday, June 14th, can be viewed here.
TICKET SALES START WEDNESDAY, JUNE 13TH AT GIANT TIGER, 3 – 6 PM
An entry ticket has the buyer’s name, contact phone number, and the number from 1 – 52 they think contains the Ace of Spades.
150 tickets are sold for $5 each at two sales sites:
Giant Tiger: Wednesdays, from 3 – 6 PM
Farmers’ Market: Front Street, Saturdays, from 9 – noon
There is one ticket drawn each week. The ticket holder instantly wins 20% of the weekly sales total. If the number of the envelope they put on the ticket contains the Ace of Spades, they also win 30% of the weekly sales total.
If the envelope they guessed does not contain the Ace of Spades, the card inside is cut in half, and the envelope is removed from the board. The 30% of weekly sales then rolls into a jackpot. For each week that the Ace of Spades is not chosen, that week’s 30% of sales is added to the jackpot.
If an entry ticket has an envelope number that has already been drawn, then the lowest number still available on the board is chosen by default.
If 150 tickets are sold each week, the 20% instant prize is $150, the 30% “You caught the Ace” prize is $225 per week. After 26 weeks, then the jackpot could grow to $9,750 if all 150 tickets are sold each week, and the Ace of Spades is not guessed before then.
If the Ace of Spades is not “caught” in the first 26 weekly draws, then on week 26, then a “Must Go” draw occurs. That means, on week 26, the first ticket drawn gets 20% of the weekly sales. If it’s not the Ace of Spades, then another ticket is drawn. That ticket holder does not get 20% because it’s already given away. Tickets are drawn until the ticket holder guesses the number of the envelope that contains the Ace of Spades and they receive the 30% from week 26, PLUS the accumulated jackpot, which could be as high as $9,750.
Lions Club of Strathroy – Caradoc
“Men, Women and Families – Together We Serve!”
We received our Charter in December of 2009, and are a “new” club in our community.
Our members are a wonderful mix of men and women, youth and ‘experienced’, singles, and families. We share a core belief – that we will have fun together helping our community become its best. We help where help is needed and we are able. In short,We Serve.
Here are some of the things our club does:
- Collect and recycle used eyeglasses;
- Collect and recycle used hearing aids;
- Collect and recycle used printer cartridges;
- Do facility maintenance such as painting playground equipment at the skateboard park, painting the bridge across to Alexandra Park from Frank Street;
- Organize an annual Tree of Light fundraising project toward the purchase of things such as an Ophthalmology Chair in the emergency room at the Strathroy Middlesex General Hospital, racks to lock your bicycle to in the downtown core, wheelchair accessible picnic tables in local parks, 19 metal benches in the downtown core and at the hospital;
- Conduct an annual “Purina Walk for Dog Guides” (Aug. 29, 2015)
- Run a “Back-to-School” draw for gift cards redeemable at Giant Tiger stores;
- Host students from other countries – Lions International Youth Exchange.
If you (or your friends or family members) would like to become involved in an upcoming projector join our Lions Club, you can review our Membership Brochure and then contact us in one of these three ways:
- Call Lion Gary at 519- 246-6280
- Email one of our Club Officers and request more information
- Attend one of our monthly membership meetings to learn more about our group (See Map/ Close Up links)
You can discover the latest events in Ontario District A-1 by clicking on this link: www.a1lions.ca